03 November 2006

9. Update on Friday, 3 Nov. 2006.

Continued from my 8. Protein, Fat and Carbohydrate post below ....

This update is to put everything I have said in my first 8 posts into context ....

By walking for 35-55 minutes every day, eating a protein- and fat-rich diet (NOT partially hydrogenated fat) with five mixed vegetables daily (including the occasional fruits like half a banana or 6 grapes), I have reached and been at my ideal weight of 14 stones [US 196 lbs.] for the last 19 months - this is quite a bit lower than the weight of 15 stones [US 210 lbs.] advised by my diabetic nurse. Even so, it was no effort to reach my 14 stones and it's been no problem keeping to it. My 'paunch' has virtually disappeared as well.

My cholesterol readings have been between 3.4 mmol/L [US 132 mg/dl] and 4.2 mmol/L [US 163 mg/dl] throughout the period, easily within 'recommended' or Governmental limits.

Whenever I take a blood glucose reading, the results are rarely above 7.5 mmol/L [US 135 mg/dl] one and a half hours after any food. On the rare occasions when they are higher than that, it's usually quite easy to isolate what caused it - I then note down that food for future reference. That way I've got to know what food to avoid or to eat with caution. (I had to learn about how the Glycaemic Index works and that it's closely connected to Glycaemic Loading. The GI on its own does NOT give a completely satisfactory answer.)

My three 6-monthly blood glucose HbA1C results have settled at 5.8% - again, well within the limits. In fact, they're actually UNDER the limits.

My doctor and diabetic nurse both say my results from these three 6-monthly readings are excellent and for me to continue the good work. (I'm due for my next 6-monthly check-up in late-December 2006).

These figures basically mean I've managed to get my Type 2 Diabetes under a pretty good level of control in about 6 months from first being diagnosed - and I'm managing to maintain that control 23 months later so it's NOT been a 'flash in the pan'.

-------------------------------

I fully intend to continue adding posts to this blog - as mentioned in 'My Forthcoming Diabetes Posts' - but finding the necessary time is my biggest problem.

My wife and I have 3 children and 9 grandchildren and we're quite involved with many aspects of their lives. In addition, although now a fully-retired computer consultant, I am still extremely busy programming the extra features I'm going to add to my blogging. So far, I've managed to add a Table Of Contents to this blog, but I have lots of other things I wish to add to make reading my blog more enjoyable than just learning about my diabetes experiences.

[Home]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home