25 January 2006

6. Books on Diabetes.

Continued from my 5. Glucose Monitors post .......

On the 22 January 2005, I decided I didn't know nearly enough about Type 2 Diabetes so, of course, went and had a 'Google'. I can't remember the exact search keywords I used but the results produced one book that really caught my eye (several times). It was a book by a Type 1 Diabetic, Dr. Bernstein, aged 68 when he wrote it, who had had his diabetes since the age of 12. I carried out a few 'safety' Internet checks on his background and book and was reassured that it might be a good place to start.

Incidently, by this time, I'd seen so much information about diabetes, both on the Internet and from the local professionals, that I was quite confused and, therefore, had decided I needed to get some basic overview of the whole subject. This book turned out to be exactly what I needed.

This Google search result took me to Amazon, of course, and there I found they were offering a special reduced deal of Dr. Bernstein's book and an Atkins book specifically for Diabetes Type 2 sufferers. As I'd heard so much about the usual Atkins Diet, I must admit to being rather intrigued by this offering - so I went ahead and ordered them both.

                

Amazon did it's usual amazing delivery and I had them in my hand the following day.

I then settled down to read Dr. Bernstein's book first. It was a real eye-opener! I vowed to myself I would read it as thoroughly as I could. By the finish, I was really 'in the know' about my condition - in fact, I became a bit of a 'Dr. Bernstein' bore.

I then read the Atkins Diabetes Type 2 book and that confirmed what I'd learnt from Dr. Bernstein. Both books made considerable and detailed references to all the latest research and, as Dr. Bernstein's book was published in 2003 and the Atkins book in 2004, they were far more up-to-date than some of the professional people I'd been seeing about my affliction.

[Home]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home