05 September 2005

4. Diet and Exercise.

Continued from my 3. Confirmation post ..........

The diabetic nurse now had the task of setting up the necessary course of actions for me to take. She will then monitor my results in the months to come.

My weight in January was 16 stone [US 224 lbs.] - this meant I was overweight but not obese for my height of 6'5". I did, however, have a larger stomach (paunch) than was good for me. The diabetic nurse advised I should try to get down to 15 stone [US 210 lbs.] as soon as possible. This would be achieved by a carefully controlled diet and daily exercise.

She gave me a folder filled with a number of diabetes publications. It also contained a chart for keeping track of how much exercise I did (I would receive points for each different type of exercise undertaken). She then told me to buy a notepad to keep a record of everything I ate.

I returned home and read all of the diabetes publications. By the time I'd finished them, I was more than a little confused. The publications contradicted themselves in several places - they also contradicted other things that my diabetic nurse had told me. I was not at all happy with this situation and decided I must take matters into my own hands.

By this time and with the help of my notepad, I had discovered which foods raised the sugar levels in my urine. My morning breakfast of Bran-Flakes and semi-skimmed milk was the worst so I stopped having it. Immediately, the sugar level in my urine dropped down to 0.0 mmol/L after 2 hours.

I then managed to isolate several other foods and, by the end of January, had got my urine levels down to 0.0 mmol/L every day.

[Home]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home