05 September 2005

3. Confirmation.

Continued from my 2. Diagnosis post ...............

I continued to use the Diastix Strips 2 hours after every meal without fail - and I managed to record the correct figures this time. I was, however, puzzled by them as they seemed to be so much higher than specified on the strip's direction sheet.

28 mmol/L [US 504 mg/dL] was the usual reading after my Bran-Flake and semi-skimmed milk breakfast. On another occasion, it went as high as 55 mmol/L [US 990 mg/dL] but I can't remember what food I'd eaten to have had such an effect.

What made these figures so hard to understand was that they really should have been 5.5 mmol/L [US 99 mg/dL] or lower. The fact that sugar was still in my urine 2 HOURS AFTER A MEAL was the danger signal - but I didn't know exactly what that meant at the time.

Before I saw the diabetic nurse the second time, I'd had more blood taken at the surgery. This was done 2 hours after my normal 'Bran-Flake' breakfast so that she could see how much glucose I had in my blood on that occasion.

When I met her again, she said my blood glucose level was 11.2 mmol/L [US 202 mg/dL]. This confirmed that I was indeed a type 2 diabetic.

[Home]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home